Who is eligible to register to vote?

You shall be a citizen of the United States; not less than 18 years of age by Election Day; a resident of the township where you are applying to vote.  You cannot register if you are being confined to jail after being convicted and sentenced.

Do I need to re-register for each election?

No.  Registration in Michigan is permanent as long as you reside at the same address.  You need to re-register anytime you move or change your name.

Where can I register to vote?

  • Township Clerk's office
  • County Clerk's office
  • Secretary of State branch offices
  • Family Independent Agency office
  • Specified government agencies including the Ingham County Health Department and MESC

Can I register to vote by mail?

Yes.  First-time voters who register by mail must vote in person in their first election, unless they hand-deliver the application to their local clerk, are 60 years old or older, are disabled, or are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.

How can I find out what precinct I'm in?

Call your local township clerk, Tracy Ayres at (517) 628-2093 or check your voter registration card.

Where do I go to vote?

Aurelius Township Hall, 1939 S. Aurelius Road., Mason, MI  48854

When are the polls open on Election Day?

Polls are open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.  You will be allowed to vote as long as you are in line by 8:00 p.m.

Will I need to bring identification on Election Day? 

Michigan has a voter identification requirement at the polls.  Voters are asked to present an acceptable photo ID such as a Michigan driver's license or identification card. Please note that voters who do not have an acceptable form of ID or failed to bring it with them to the polls still can vote.  They simply sign a brief affidavit stating that they're not in possession of a photo ID.  Their ballots are included with all others and counted on Election Day.

How can I receive an Absentee Ballot?

Absentee Ballots can be obtained by sending an Absent Voter Application to your township office at 1939 S. Aurelius Rd., Mason, Michigan, 48854 or calling the office at (517) 628-2093 and requesting an Absent Voter Application be sent to you or by stopping by the office during office hours to apply.  Office hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

If you are in the military service or overseas you can contact your commanding officer and receive a Federal Post Card Registration and Absentee Ballot (FPCA). If you are a citizen overseas you can contact your Consulate Office.

To be placed on the Permanent Absentee Voter List, contact Tracy Ayres, Township Clerk at (517) 628-2093.  

After being placed on this list you will automatically receive an application for an absentee voter ballot for every election.  You can then fill it out, sign and return the application to receive your absentee ballot.


Upcoming Elections
May 7, 2019 Ballot Proposal

This proposal will allow the school district to continue to levy the statutory rate of not to exceed 18 mills on all property, except principal residence and other property exempted by law, required for the school district to receive its full revenue per pupil foundation allowance and restores millage lost as a result of the reduction required by the Michigan Constitution of 1963.

Shall the currently authorized millage rate limitation on the amount of taxes which may be assessed against all property, except principal residence and other property exempted by law, in Mason Public Schools, Ingham County, Michigan, be renewed by 17.9388 mills ($17.9388 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation) for a period of 10 years, 2020 to 2029, inclusive, and also be increased by 0.0612 mill ($0.0612 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation) for a period of 10 years, 2020 to 2029, inclusive, to provide funds for operating purposes; the estimate of the revenue the school district will collect if the millage is approved and 18 mills are levied in 2020 is approximately $3,500,000 (this is a renewal of millage that will expire with the 2019 levy and a restoration of millage lost as a result of the reduction required by the “Headlee” amendment to the Michigan Constitution of 1963)?

YES [ ] NO [ ]
Voter Information Center

The Michigan Secretary of State “Voter Information Center” is online at Michigan residents can access information on their voter registration status, find the location, get directions to their polling place and review the ballot. 
For further information, please contact Tracy Ayres, Clerk at (517) 628-2093 or email at