Who is eligible to register to vote?

You shall be a citizen of the United States; not less than 18 years of age by Election Day; a resident of the township where you are applying to vote.  You cannot register if you are being confined to jail after being convicted and sentenced.

When can I register to vote?

You must be registered at least 30 days before an election in order to vote in that election.

Do I need to re-register for each election?

No.  Registration in Michigan is permanent as long as you reside at the same address.  You need to re-register anytime you move or change your name.

Where can I register to vote?

  • Township Clerk's office
  • County Clerk's office
  • Secretary of State branch offices
  • Family Independent Agency office
  • Specified government agencies including the Ingham County Health Department and MESC

Can I register to vote by mail?

Yes.  First-time voters who register by mail must vote in person in their first election, unless they hand-deliver the application to their local clerk, are 60 years old or older, are disabled, or are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.

How can I find out what precinct I'm in?

Call your local township clerk, Tracy Ayres at (517) 628-2093 or check your voter registration card.

Where do I go to vote?

Aurelius Township Hall, 1939 S. Aurelius Road., Mason, MI  48854

When are the polls open on Election Day?

Polls are open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.  You will be allowed to vote as long as you are in line by 8:00 p.m.

Will I need to bring identification on Election Day? 

Michigan has a voter identification requirement at the polls.  Voters are asked to present an acceptable photo ID such as a Michigan driver's license or identification card. Please note that voters who do not have an acceptable form of ID or failed to bring it with them to the polls still can vote.  They simply sign a brief affidavit stating that they're not in possession of a photo ID.  Their ballots are included with all others and counted on Election Day.

How can I receive an Absentee Ballot?

To be eligible for voting Absentee:

  • You must be 60 years of age or older.
  • You expect to be absent from the community in which you are registered for the entire time the polls are open.
  • You are physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another.
  • You cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of your religion.
  • You have been appointed an election precinct inspector in a precinct other than the precinct where you reside.
  • You cannot attend the polls because you are confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial.

Absentee Ballots can be obtained by calling your township offices at (517) 628-2093 and requesting an Absent Voter Application stop by the office during office hours to apply.  Office hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

If you are in the military service or overseas you can contact your commanding officer and receive a Federal Post Card Registration and Absentee Ballot (FPCA). If you are a citizen overseas you can contact your Consulate Office.

To be placed on the Permanent Absentee Voter List, contact Tracy Ayres, Township Clerk at (517) 628-2093.  

After being placed on this list you will automatically receive an application for an absentee voter ballot for every election.  You will need to fill it out, sign and return the application to receive your absentee ballot.


Voter Information Center

The Michigan Secretary of State “Voter Information Center” is online at Michigan residents can access information on their voter registration status, find the location, get directions to their polling place and review the ballot. 
For further information, please contact Tracy Ayres, Clerk at (517) 628-2093 or email at