Aurelius Township was surveyed in 1825 by John Mullett. On March 11, 1837 the Michigan Legislature approved legislation naming the western portion of Ingham County Aurelius Township. From the original township the neighboring townships of Onondaga, Leslie, Delhi, Alaiedon, Vevay, Lansing and Meridian were created. Elijah Woodworth is credited with naming the township after his old home, Aurelius Township, Cayuga County, New York. He settled in what today is Leslie Township. In April of 1837, the first township meeting was held in the home of Elijah Woodworth.